Ponds & Water Features
DW Lloyd has assisted its many clients in the installation of new ponds and advice on crucial areas, such as land levels, pump and filtration requirements.
Pond maintenance and cleaning must be carried out on a regular basis to avoid problems. Over a period of time the build-up of waste from plants, fallen leaves, surrounding trees and other organic waste in your pond will form a black sludge in the bottom of your pond. This sludge is known as silt and can lead to to a build-up of harmful waste. This often releases toxic gasses and unwanted odours, which ultimately leads to the illness or even death of fish and other wildlife. A dead pond environment as well as murky water is not what your pond is designed for!
It may sound logical that water quality is of the utmost importance for the health of fish stock and wildlife in your pond but we regularly find that ponds are left entirely to their own device and water clarity is extremely poor. It is essential for the enjoyment of your pond or water feature that regular cleaning and of course servicing of pump and filtration equipment is in hand. This not only keeps your pond and / or water feature in fantastic condition, but it also prolongs the life of your equipment, reducing the need for expensive repairs or replacement parts. Any noteworthy manufacturer of pond equipment will recommend that pumps, pond filtration systems and other equipment are maintained regularly to meet with their guarantees and in order to keep all the pond equipment in good working condition.
DWLL is delighted to be able to offer a pond management plan, specifically designed with you and your pond in mind. Please see details below.
What do our pond cleaning and maintenance services include?
Our pond management plan includes full pond draining, thorough cleaning, pump and water feature maintenance. This includes Koi ponds, general fish ponds, bird bath ponds, all the way up to larger pond maintenance and management projects for business parks, golf courses, hotels and large estates. We can also help with maintenance of wildlife ponds on estates.
Pond cleaning can sometimes be a daunting task, but we offer a full cleaning service including an “out-of-hours” service to suit many of our Hotel and Leisure industry clients, so that pond maintenance work doesn’t interfere with your business.
The following items are likely to be covered in our full cleaning and maintenance service:
- Pond draining
- Fish held in holding facilities during works
- As much water retained from the pond as possible (if clean!)
- Removal of all sludge and other aquatic waste
- Pond plant life maintenance
- Pond weed removal and treatments as necessary
- Pond floor and sides cleaned
- Bottom drain purge
- Waterfall or feature cleaned and maintained
- Pond filtration system stripped and cleaned
- UV tube replacement (if required and accessible)
- UV Quartz clean (if required and accessible)
- Fresh water refill of pond, including quality assessment of fresh water
- Water dechlorinated during the filling stages if necessary
- Pond filtration system health check
- Pipework assessment
- Small repairs where or if required
- Water quality test including pH and oxygen levels
- Fish restocking
- Netting of ponds during the winter months to reduce leaves etc in the pond.
The cost of the maintenance service is based on several conditions, such as the size and depth of the pond, its location and its contents, such as Islands / features. All equipment used is of the highest standards and quality to ensure the job is completed as efficiently and to the best standards possible.
Pond maintenance contract holders also enjoy the following benefits:
- Bespoke regular service at agreed intervals
- Managed service schedule
- Free advice service
We can supply and service all the equipment you need and our services are available to domestic and commercial clients.
For more information and advice about water features, pond design, pond construction, pond maintenance & cleaning or fishery and consultancy services, please contact us.